COMPETITION NOW CLOSED
Taking place on the fourth day of Lent every year, dating as far back to the 17th century, the UK has celebrated 'Mothering Sunday'.
Before pampering our mums with gifts, nightwear, chocolate and flowers, the Sunday was typically seen as a day for Christians to travel to their 'mother' church for worship. However, Mother's Day around the world doesn't always follow the same traditions as our own.
When speaking to our team in India, Mother's Day is celebrated later in the year on the second Sunday of May. More importantly however, Hindus most look forward to a ten-day celebration in October called 'Durga Puja'. The celebration is in honour of the warrior goddess Durga, also known as the 'Divine Mother', filled with parties, fasting, feasts, prayer and performances.
In Europe, depending on the fall of Pentecost, Mother's Day in France is celebrated in late May or early June. Since becoming a national holiday declared by Napoleon dubbed 'Fete des Meres', mothers are expected to relax and enjoy a large meal cooked by their family at the end of the day.
Meanwhile, dating back to 1923, on 26th May Polish families annually celebrate 'Dzien Matki'. Every year schools host a special event where children will present their mums or grandmothers with love messages known as 'laurki'. As it's an official holiday, all restaurants and shops are closed on the day, so families will often get together and enjoy festivities at home.
Travelling to the other side of the world, it's autumn in Australia and the country is filled with chrysanthemums, a traditional flower to give to matriarchs nicknamed "mums" for obvious reasons. Houses are filled with flowers including carnations, which were once traditionally worn around the neck on the day - coloured to honour their mothers if living or white in memory of.
To celebrate Mother's Day this year, we're running a giveaway to win the gift of relaxation for your mum this March. We have THREE cotton-satin sets up for grabs including gift-wrap as an additional treat.
Share this link with your friends or family to double your chances if you can't quite decide what to get your mum this year: http://bit.ly/YawnMothersDayComp
Subscribe to the below list to enter. Competition ends 7th March 2018.
Terms & Conditions
The competition will run until midnight GMT on 7th March 2018 and three lucky winners will be chosen at random.
The winner will be contacted within 24 hours of the competition closing – good luck.
Terms and conditions:
- One entry per person is permitted.
- Acceptance of the terms and conditions is a condition of entry and entry instructions form part of the terms and conditions.
- These terms and conditions are governed by the laws of England and Wales and are subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts.
- The competitions closes at midnight 7th March 2018.
- Three winners will be randomly selected.
- Entry to competition is free and open to UK and Eire residents only.
- By submitting your details as entry to the competition you agree to loveyawn.com contacting you on these details if you are a winner and signing up to brand participant's newsletters. Your details will not be passed to any third parties as part of this agreement.
- The prizes include one Curl Up Pyjama Gift Set 'Storm Clouds', one Sleep Tight Nightshirt Gift Set 'House Of Cards' or one Sleep Tight Nightshirt Gift Set 'Float Away'.
- The prize is as stated and no cash alternative is available.
- The prize cannot be exchanged, refunded or returned.
- The prize would need to be taken by the 9th March 2018.
- Yawn shall be obliged to contact the prize winners only via their information given on the entry form.
- Any prize not claimed within 5 days of sending notification of a winning entry shall be forfeited. Yawn may award the prize to another entrant.
- The Promoter’s decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- By entering the competition, each entrant agrees that Yawn may use their name and email address for future promotional, marketing and publicity purposes.
- Yawn is bound by the Data Protection Act 1998 and entrants can request access to personal information held about them by contacting the company.
- Yawn is hosting and managing this competition and reserves the right to change the terms and conditions at any time.
- The competition can be extended or cancelled at anytime without notice and as the discretion of Yawn.
Promoter: Yawn (trading as Whiteley Buro Ltd), 31 Hatton Garden, London, EC1N 8DH United Kingdom