Escapes | Yawn goes to the Isle of Wight
For those who can’t get enough of the coast we’d highly recommend the Isle of Wight. An island off the south coast of England that has been a favourite holiday destination since the Victorian era.
Here are our top five recommended things to do. Whilst there we would love you to say hello to one of our new stockists, Joli.
- Queen Victoria’s old home Osborne House, just across the Medina River in east Cowes. Designed by Prince Albert in the style of an Italian Renaissance palazzo, the house and grounds are lovely to walk around in the sun.
- Keeping up with the royals, Isle of Wight is also home to Carisbrooke, an Elizabethan fortress where many kings and queens have spent their summers. With a beautiful Edwardian garden and museum, it’s filled with hundreds of years of history to keep you entertained.
- Head to Alum Bay where you can grab a chairlift from the cliff-top down to the beach below. Transporting you over beautiful sand cliffs and blue waters, the view is well worth the trip.
- Visit the island’s most famous landmark located right on the South Western tip, the Needles Rocks and Trinity Lighthouse. Standing boldly on the end of magnificent chalk cliffs, rising to a 450 ft. summit, the lighthouse has protected many ships over the years. Don’t forget your camera.
- A visit to Joli. Located in the seaport town of Cowes, the shop stocks handmade, high quality items sourced directly from the maker. With the harbour and Solent full of sailing boats, owner Emma Stevens highly recommends walking along the beach and promenade walks, filled with boutiques, restaurants and sailing clubs. Emma says: “Even if you don’t want to sail boats on the water, they’re always pretty to look at!”
Essential for a weekend trip away, our coastal inspired pieces are easy to pack and ideal for keeping you warm at night from the sea breeze. Shop the range from 'Calm Waters' to 'Safe Harbour' and remember we always love to hear from you.