We know that this is a complex area. We will always respect your privacy. Please be reassured that we do not store credit card details nor do we share customer details or financial information with any 3rd parties.
You may choose not to provide Yawn with your Personal Data. However, if you choose not to provide your Personal Data, you may not be able to purchase our goods.
We take steps to keep your Personal Data accurate and up to date. If you reside in the European Economic Area, you have certain rights outlined in section 10 below under the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) in relation to the Personal Data that we have collected about you. To exercise your rights to your Personal Data, please contact us at the address listed below. Subject to applicable law and in exceptional circumstances only, we will respond to reasonable requests as soon as practicable, and in any event, within the time limits prescribed by law.
Section 1: What do we do with your information?
When you purchase something from our store, as part of the buying and selling process, we collect the Personal Data you give us such as your name, address and email address. When you browse our store, we also automatically receive your computer’s internet protocol (IP) address in order to provide us with information that helps us learn about your browser and operating system. With your permission, if you opt into our emails we may send you emails about Yawn, our new products and any other updates that we think may be of interest.
Section 2: Consent
How do you get my consent?
When you provide us with Personal Data to complete a transaction, verify your credit card, place an order or arrange for a delivery or return of purchase, we imply that you consent to our collecting it and using it for that specific reason only. If we ask for your Personal Data for a secondary reason, like marketing, we will either ask you directly for your expressed consent, or provide you with an opportunity to say no or opt out.
How do I withdraw my consent?
If after you opt-in, you change your mind, you may withdraw your consent for us to contact you, for the continued collection, use or disclosure of your Personal Data, at anytime, by contacting us at email@example.com or writing to us at: Yawn, 1st Floor, 5-9 Hatton Wall, London, EC1N 8HX. Please put ‘Opting Out’ in the subject of the email.
Section 3: Disclosure
We may disclose your Personal Data if we are required by law to do so or if you violate our Terms of Service.
Section 4: Shopify
Our store is hosted on Shopify Inc. They provide us with the online e-commerce platform that allows us to sell our products and services to you. Your data is stored through Shopify’s data storage, databases and the general Shopify application. They store your data on a secure server behind a firewall.
Payment: If you choose a direct payment gateway to complete your purchase, then Shopify stores your credit card data. It is encrypted through the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI-DSS). Your purchase transaction data is stored only as long as is necessary to complete your purchase transaction. After that is complete, your purchase transaction information is deleted.
All direct payment gateways adhere to the standards set by PCI-DSS as managed by the PCI Security Standards Council, which is a joint effort of brands like Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover.
PCI-DSS requirements help ensure the secure handling of credit card information by our store and its service providers. For more insight, you may also want to read Shopify’s Terms of Service or Privacy Statement (we can provide these for you if you wish, just contact us).
Section 5 - Third party services
In general, the third-party providers used by us will only collect, use and disclose your Personal Data to the extent necessary to allow them to perform the services they provide to us. However, certain third-party service providers, such as payment gateways and other payment transaction processors, have their own privacy policies in respect to the information we are required to provide to them for your purchase-related transactions. For these providers, we recommend that you read their privacy policies so you can understand the manner in which your Personal Data will be handled by these providers.
In particular, remember that certain providers may be located in or have facilities that are located in a different jurisdiction than either you or us. So if you elect to proceed with a transaction that involves the services of a third-party service provider, then your information may become subject to the laws of the jurisdiction(s) in which that service provider or its facilities are located.
As an example, if you are located in Canada and your transaction is processed by a payment gateway located in the United States, then your personal information used in completing that transaction may be subject to disclosure under United States legislation, including the Patriot Act.
Links: When you click on links on our store, they may direct you away from our site. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of other sites and encourage you to read their privacy statements.
Section 6: Security
To protect your Personal Data, we take reasonable precautions and follow industry best practices to make sure it is not inappropriately lost, misused, accessed, disclosed, altered or destroyed. If you provide us with your credit card information, the information is encrypted using secure socket layer technology (SSL) and stored with a AES-256 encryption. Although no method of transmission over the Internet or electronic storage is 100% secure, we follow all PCI-DSS requirements and implement additional generally accepted industry standards.
Section 7: Cookies
Here is a list of cookies that we use. We’ve listed them here so you that you can choose if you want to opt-out of cookies or not. Please remember you can always opt out of cookies if you want to.
session_id, unique token, sessional,: Allows Shopify to store information about your session (referrer, landing page, etc).
shopify_visit, no data held,: Persistent for 30 minutes from the last visit, used by our website provider’s internal stats tracker to record the number of visits.
shopify_uniq, no data held,: Expires midnight (relative to the visitor) of the next day, counts the number of visits to a store by a single customer.
cart, unique token,: Persistent for 2 weeks, stores information about the contents in your cart.
secure_session_id,: Unique token, sessional.
storefront_digest,: Unique token, indefinite.
PREF,: persistent for a very short period, set by Google and tracks who visits the store and from where.
Google analytics: Our store uses Google Analytics to help us learn about who visits our site and what pages are being looked at. This helps us to create a better experience at Yawn for all our customers.
If you have created an account with Yawn and the shop has a password, this is used to determine if the current visitor has access.
Section 8: Age of Consent
By using this site, you represent that you are at least 18 years old.
If our store is acquired or merged with another company, your information may be transferred to the new owners so that we may continue to sell products to you.
Section 10: GDPR
Under the GDPR you have various rights which include:
A) the right to ask us for confirmation on whether we are processing your Personal Data, and access to the Personal Data and related information on that processing (e.g., the purposes of the processing, or the categories of Personal Data involved);
B) the right to have your Personal Data corrected, as permitted by law;
C) the right to ask us to delete your Personal Data, as permitted by law. This right may be exercised among other things: (i) when your Personal Data is no longer necessary for the purposes for which it was collected or otherwise processed; (ii) when you withdraw consent on which processing is based and where there is no other legal ground for processing; (iii) when you object to processing and there are no overriding legitimate grounds for the processing, or when you object to the processing when your Personal Data has been unlawfully processed.
D) You have the right to receive the Personal Data that you have provided to us, in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format, and you have the right to transmit that information to another controller, including to have it transmitted directly, where technically feasible.
E) You have the right to object to our processing of your Personal Data, as permitted by law. This right is limited to processing based on Art. 6 (1) (e) or (f) GDPR, and includes profiling based on those provisions, and processing for direct marketing purposes. After which, we will no longer process your Personal Data unless we can demonstrate compelling legitimate grounds for the processing that override your interests, rights and freedoms or for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims.
We may disclose your Personal Data
Legal Basis for Processing under the GDPR
In this section we provide information on the legal basis for our processing of your Personal Data as required by Art. 13 and 14 of the GDPR:
1. When you register for an account or interact with us, such processing is necessary for the completion of our sales orders, Art. 6 (1) (b) GDPR.
2. When we collect precise Location Data following your prior consent, we process such data on the basis of your prior consent, Art. 6 (1) (a) GDPR. In other cases where we process your Location Data without consent, for example in order to complete our sales order, such processing is necessary for the completion of the sales order, Art. 6 (1) (b) GDPR.
3. When you communicate with us or sign up for promotional materials, we process such data on the basis of our legitimate interest, Art. 6 (1) (f) GDPR, and our legitimate interest is to provide you with our promotional messages. Where we are required under applicable local law to obtain your consent for sending you marketing information, the legal basis is your consent, Art. 6 (1) (a) GDPR.
4. When you participate in special activities, offers, or programs we process such data on the basis of our legitimate interest, Art. 6 (1) (f) GDPR, and our legitimate interest is to provide you with our promotional messages or to allow you to participate in our special activities, offers or programs.
5. When you engage with our online communities or advertising and we actively collect your Personal Data in this context, we process such data on the basis of our legitimate interest, Art. 6 (1) (f) GDPR, and our legitimate interest is to provide you with our promotional messages.
6. When you connect with us through social media:
Where we collect your consent in such case, for instance for marketing purposes, we process such data on the basis of your prior consent, Art. 6 (1) (a) GDPR.
Where we do not collect your consent in such case, we process such data on the basis of our legitimate interest, Art. 6 (1) (f) GDPR, and our legitimate interest is providing you with a better shopping experience and to enable you to enjoy access to our full offering (Art. 6 (1) (f) GDPR).
7. When we collect data from third parties or publicly-available sources:
For Personal Data which we need in order to complete your purchase as above (e.g. for email verification purposes), such processing is necessary for the business, Art. 6 (1) (b) GDPR.
With regard to other Personal Data, we process such data on the basis of our legitimate interest, Art. 6 (1) (f) GDPR, and our legitimate interest is providing you with your completed order as above and to enable you to use our services more efficiently.
8. When we use and/or collect cookies, Location Data, data from the environment, and other analytics and tracking technologies, we process such data on the basis of your consent, Art. 6 (1) (a) GDPR, and based on our legitimate interest, Art. 6 (1) (f) GDPR, where we do not obtain your consent and our legitimate interest.
9. When we aggregate or centralise data, such processing is either necessary for the performance of our Services, Art. 6 (1) (b) GDPR, or we process such data on the basis of our legitimate interest, Art. 6 (1) (f) GDPR, and our legitimate interest is to provide you with better or customised goods and marketing.
10. When we disclose Personal Data to our affiliates and partners:
Where we collect your consent in such case, we process such data on the basis of your prior consent, Art. 6 (1) (a) GDPR
Where we do not collect your consent in such case, such processing is necessary for the [performance of our services], Art. 6 (1) (b) GDPR or we process such data on the basis of our legitimate interest, Art. 6 (1) (f) GDPR, and our legitimate interest is to provide you with better information about or customised goods and marketing.
11. When we process or share Personal Data in the event of an actual or contemplated sale, we process such data for our legitimate interest in offering, maintaining, providing, and improving our products and services, Art. 6 (1) (f) GDPR).
12. When we conduct analytics, we process such data on the basis of our legitimate interest, Art. 6 (1) (f) GDPR, and our legitimate interest is to enhance your experience and to develop and improve our products and services.
13. When we investigate suspected illegal or wrongful activity, we process such data on the basis of our legitimate interest, Art. 6 (1) (f) GDPR, and our legitimate interest is to ensure compliance with legal requirements and law enforcement requests and for public safety purposes.
Complaints to the Data Protection Authority
We encourage you to contact us directly and allow us to work with you to address your concerns. Nevertheless, you have the right to lodge a complaint with a competent data protection supervisory authority, in particular in the EU Member State where you reside, work or the place of the alleged infringement. You have the right to do so if you consider that the processing of Personal Data relating to you infringes applicable data protection laws.
Questions & contact information
If this Guide isn’t clear or you have any questions please don’t hesitate to call us or make contact – we’ll be pleased to hear from you (firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 (020) 8810 1094).
If you would like to: access, correct, amend or delete any personal information we have about you, register a complaint, or simply want more information contact us at email@example.com or by mail at Yawn (Re: Privacy) 1st Floor, 5-9 Hatton Wall, London, EC1N 8HX, UK.